I keep getting conflcting advice. I have a 33,000 gallon salt water pool. My chlorine levels remain around 3ppm. I shocked it during opening and haven’t shocked it since. Really, how often do i need to shock it. Imhave a family of 4 with company over on the weekends.


Even with the chlorine consistently around 3, you will likely need to shock occassionally in order to reduce the wastes in the pool and make sure you are not building up combined chlorine which is irritating to eyes and skin and can make the water smell bad. Every other week might be good, but you may be able to go longer. Probably most dependent on the bather load. If swimmers complain of skin or eye irritation, it is time to shock too.